Sitting on deck of Ghost, anchored out in Man-O-War Cay. Watching the last signs of day fade into the horizon. As the violet sky moves in the from east, peppered with a few white stars and hazy grey clouds, the sunset leaves behind a succession of green into tangerine into papaya into the black islands, also peppered with little multi colored lights. We’ve gained neighbors as the day has grown. We were the only ones here around 2 PM, now there are four other sail boats, maybe a catamaran too.
Around 9 AM- Brain came by to fix the accelerator. All fixed up and after a dip in the pool one last time for Ivy and Debby- it was too the coffee shop for Runyon and I for some icy refreshment- we said good bye to the friendlies at the Abaco Beach Resort. We motored over to Man-O-War, which is a small island than March Harbor. The decks were so hot that I was constantly scooping up sea water with the canvas bucket and splashing over the roasting teak decks just so I wouldn’t blister the bottom of my feet! We jumped into the glorious 86 degree water right off the side of the boat after we anchored. Runyon found a drilled out conch shell which I promptly dropped back to the bottom when a crab crawled out of it and scared the crap out of me. We saw some giant star fish and a more adventurous Runyon went snorkeling to find all sorts of wild like like a school of yellow tail, a hiding flounder and a variety of star fish.
Runyon and Debby took the dingy into Man-O-War Cay (Man-O-War is actually a type of deadly jelly fish, according to Ivy). They toted the genoa sail into the canvas shop. We’ll be seven days without her as we wait for a replacement. Our crew homework is to read the guide books to figure out what we should do between now and then since we won’t be going too far without her. Obviously I’m doing my homework listening to the soothing croons of Cowboy Junkies, facing the fading day. I’m getting pretty good at typing in the dark with only the glow of the screen.
The Cloud formations out here are almost show stealers of the sunset. There are funnels and fluffy clouds being over taken by sheet like monsters. Every clear day we watch the sunset hoping for the legendary green flash. No luck yet, every chance we think we might be getting lucky, a haze or a cloud covers up the sun at the horizon. A warm breeze is tickling me from the east and Runyon asked Debby earlier, “What's wrong with this picture?” “Not a thing.” She replied. Couldn’t agree with her more!
Ivy grilling off the back of the boat
This is quite the popular spot for small motor boats to travel through. Before our delicious dinner of strawberry, almond, blueberry caesar salad, grilled steak and veggies with papaya, pineapple, bell pepper salsa; I attempted to read in the hammock strung up on the forward deck. No luck- the wake brought by the continuous small boat traffic rocked me into a little nap. When I woke up, dinner was well on it’s way and the steaks were being put on the gas grill hanging off the back of the stern. I should fall asleep around 6:30 PM more regularly!
I’m closing this entry off with reluctance. Little No-see-ums are eating away at me and as I look back at the cock pit- everyone has already headed below deck and left me out here to fend for myself. Sweet Dreams.
Self Portrait













No comments:
Post a Comment